Bloodshot Digest: The "Short and Sweet" Edition
• My Old Kentucky Blog gives Charlie Pickett some love calling Bar Band Americanus one of "4 You Mighta Missed" -- hey, better late than never! You can read MOKB's review here. The cool blog Lost Forest After Dark also discussed Charlie's ouevre recently, and some of the commenters share early Charlie/Eggs memories and stories ...
• Ha Ha Tonka recorded a live session with Palestra, and they just posted three videos from the session for yr lunch break entertainment: "Hold My Feet To The Fire," "Walking on the Devils Backbone" and "So Quiet, They're Loud".
• SCOTT RECOMMENDS: In light of the the forthcoming celebratory events and contingent art shows, we thought it’d be timely to spotlight the fact that some in the Bloodshot family are purveyors and creators of more than merely timeless music: some create fine art as well. We invite you to visit them on-line, to revel in their visual musings, and to appreciate the breadth of their creativity and vision. If you've already completed collecting these artists' discography, consider supporting them with purchasing art!
Bloodshot Digest: The "Where's mah summer?" Edition
- The New Times weekly newspaper of Broward-Palm Beach, FL named Charlie Pickett its BEST Male Rock Vocalist of 2009 in this year's Best Of poll! Congrats, Charlie!
- Sweet Home New Orleans, an organization dedicated to supporting the NOLA's unique and cultural music community, has teamed up with LeMieux Galleries to raise money for the cause. You can support the organization when you buy this BEAUTIFUL print of Danny Barker by Jon Langford.
- Neko Case will be performing on the revamped Tonight Show with Conan O'Brian on Thursday night. Joining Neko will be Bloodshot babes Kelly Hogan and Nora O'Connor. Set yr TIVO!
- Justin Townes Earle will take part in the BIG SUPRISE TOUR this summer with The Felice Brothers, Old Crow Medicine Show and Dave Rawlings Machine (featuring Gillian Welch). Check out the tour dates here.
- Finally, here's a picture of Mary from Scotland Yard Gospel Choir with Justin after his performance at Chicago's Metronome Fest. Sez Mary, "My only requirement is some sort of caption about us battling it out for the title of skinniest Bloodshot artist." Ok, Mary. If you see these two on tour, bring them some mac-n-cheese (or vegan mac for Mary), eh?
Semi-weekly, quick links to interesting Bloodshot things around the web.
- Brian Setzer made a surprise appearance at Wayne Hancock's show in Minneapolis last week. Here are a couple of video clips: 1, 2
- The Detroit Cobras were featured in an NPR piece about the state of the Detroit music scene: Listen here.
- Check out these nice pics of Justin Townes Earle performing in Toronto (via suckingalemon)
- The Beachwood Reporter featured Ha Ha Tonka's Luke Long in the first installment of their series, "Get To Know Your Chicago Bloodshot Musician"
- In more Ha Ha Tonka news, the band was featured in Rolling Stone's Hype Monitor. Gotta believe it!
- Daytrotter has a video session with Justin Townes Earle, check it out here.
- "South Florida musical god" Charlie Pickett is featured in the Miami Herald.
That's it for now, Bloodshotters! We'll be back on Friday!
The story behind the video for the song "Overtown"---the song about the riots in the early 80's, and then watch the video itself. Go here.