The "Air and Water Show" edition:
- The Scotland Yard Gospel Choir have just been added to Martin Atkin's "Tour:Smart PLUS weekend August 21 - 23." Martin played drums on a track from SYGC's upcoming album, ... and the horse you rode in on. If you'd like to sign-up for the weekend event which features many music industry how-to panels, go here. The Choir performs on Sunday, August 23.
- And speaking of SYGC, we recently got word that they'll be opening for the Headlights on Friday -- the band will play on the beautiful University of Wisconsin Memorial Union Terrace. It's totally free! It's outside on the lake! And there's homemade Babcock Hall ice cream to be consumed.
- Justin Townes Earle visited WXPN recently and recorded a live set -- hear it here. JTE is on tour right now with Old Crow Medicine Show, The Felice Brothers, Dave Rawlings and Gillian Welch on the Big Surprise Tour. The New York Times recently reviewed the revue, and seemed to enjoy themselves.
- Tune in tomorrow to hear Paul Burch and the WPA Ballclub perform live on WSM radio! The band will be on-air from 6-7pm CST, and you can listen online here.
- Finally, it's new release day for us at BSHQ -- today, we're celebrating the release of the Bottle Rockets latest, Lean Forward. Have you ordered your copy yet?
Bloodshot Digest: The "Where's mah summer?" Edition
- The New Times weekly newspaper of Broward-Palm Beach, FL named Charlie Pickett its BEST Male Rock Vocalist of 2009 in this year's Best Of poll! Congrats, Charlie!
- Sweet Home New Orleans, an organization dedicated to supporting the NOLA's unique and cultural music community, has teamed up with LeMieux Galleries to raise money for the cause. You can support the organization when you buy this BEAUTIFUL print of Danny Barker by Jon Langford.
- Neko Case will be performing on the revamped Tonight Show with Conan O'Brian on Thursday night. Joining Neko will be Bloodshot babes Kelly Hogan and Nora O'Connor. Set yr TIVO!
- Justin Townes Earle will take part in the BIG SUPRISE TOUR this summer with The Felice Brothers, Old Crow Medicine Show and Dave Rawlings Machine (featuring Gillian Welch). Check out the tour dates here.
- Finally, here's a picture of Mary from Scotland Yard Gospel Choir with Justin after his performance at Chicago's Metronome Fest. Sez Mary, "My only requirement is some sort of caption about us battling it out for the title of skinniest Bloodshot artist." Ok, Mary. If you see these two on tour, bring them some mac-n-cheese (or vegan mac for Mary), eh?
Bloodshot Records celebrates its 15th anniversary of bringing you top shelf music with a nationwide series of fan appreciation Beer-B-Qs through the summer! Sponsored by Rolling Rock.
Saturday July 4, 2009
1306 E. Carson Street Pittsburgh, PA
FREE ADMISSION, 21+
Free food and inexpensive Rolling Rock
4pm doors / 5pm show
Bobby Bare Jr
Ha Ha Tonka
Dex Romweber Duo
Scotland Yard Gospel Choir
More Beer-B-Qs coming to:
Check back here for more details!
Semi-weekly, quick links to interesting Bloodshot things
HAPPY CINCO DE MAYO! We'll be toasting it with margaritas as soon as Happy Hour hits. Wait, it's always Happy Hour somewhere in the world ... I'll be right back.
... and here's the Bloodshot haps for Tuesday, May 5:
- Just announced! Dex Romweber Duo will play an in-store at Treehouse Records in MPLS on Thursday, May 7 at 6pm. If you come to the in-store, you'll also have a shot of winning free tix to The Detroit Cobras / DRD show that night at the Varsity Theater!
- Dex and Sara Romweber were in the studio last week with their big fan, Jack White, for a 7'' that will be released soon! Read more about it here.
- Justin Townes Earle will be playing live on New York's WNYC "Soundcheck" on Tuesday, May 12 at 3pm EST / 2pm CST. Not in New York? Listen on the web here.
- Speaking of JTE, No Depression is hosting a live chat with him on Sunday, May 17 at 5pm EST / 4 CST. Got a question to ask Justin? Find out how here.
- Scotland Yard Gospel Choir will take part of the Grand Opening festivities at the brand-new Whole Foods at 1550 N Kingsbury Street in Chicago on Wednesday, May 20. SYGC will play an hour-long set at 7pm, presumably playing songs from its upcoming album, ... And the Horse You Rode In On. Pretty sure this is the first time a Bloodshot band has played a grocery store.
While in Austin for SXSW, Scotland Yard Gospel Choir and Justin Townes Earle stopped by KEXP's remote studios on South Congress Ave for a couple of live sessions:
Scotland Yard Gospel Choir's studio performance of "I Never Thought I Could Feel This Way For A Boy" is featured on KEXP's CD Live At KEXP; Volume 4. They have some pretty august company with !!!, Calexico, Vampire Weekend, The Hold Steady and many more. Go here for details.
KEXP's Kevin Cole interviewed the Scotland Yard Gospel Choir on NPR Music. To check out recordings from the band's live in-studio session, go here!
Listen to nine live tracks by the Scotland Yard Gospel Choir over at JamNow.com! To check it out and take a listen, click here .