They dueted on the classic "Little Glass of Wine" which appeared on Paul's album East to West a few years back.
Catch THIS video of the session.
What's that? You don't know of Ralph Stanley and the Stanley Brothers?
Take two steps back in the game of Musical History Knowledge. Now, go rectify that.
Read full piece
On a rare jaunt out of Chicago, The Waco Brothers played St Louis and Nashville with Paul Burch to promote their recent album Great Chicago Fire. In St Louis, they stopped by super cool radio station KDHX and recorded live in the studio.
Listen to the aural fruits of their visit HERE.
Four songs from the album done LIVE! All pretenses of polish and professionalism were tossed aside!
In our continuing quest to present fuller and more thoughtfully written music journalism to you, rather than glib tossed off bon mots aimed at the legions of short attention spanned media-consuming blobs so prevalent out there, we present to you THIS lengthy review of the Waco Brothers and Paul Burch collaboration Great Chicago Fire we released this spring.
It's by the good folks (and tasteful music fans) at PopMatters.com. They run down the album song by song and even post a soundcloud file of the title track.
So have a look. It'll be more interesting than whatever you are doing at work right now. Trust us.
Read their freewheeling conversation about Nashville, discovering country, and how playing with the Wacos is like riding a jet engine. The whole rambling affair is HERE
The Chicago Tribune calls Great Chicago Fire "Wickedly smart!" And "If the Rolling Stones were still making great records, this would be it."
AOL Spinner has the new album streaming in its entirety—listen to it now!
Paul Burch will soon be a single man, but not in the way that will land him on eHarmony.com. On March 1st Paul Burch & WPA Ballclub will begin the streaming and sale of an A side/B side single every month throughout the rest of the year. For a one-time fee of only $5 fans can join the Paul Burch Record Club which will allow them to subscribe to the entire year-long series. For $10, in addition to receiving all 20 tracks in mp3 form, Paul Burch Record Club members will receive, at the end of the year, a CD of the singles with custom artwork. An additional $15 level will get fans all the mp3s, a CD at the end of the year, and a personalized thank-you note from Paul!
Visit Paul's website for details
The "Air and Water Show" edition:
- The Scotland Yard Gospel Choir have just been added to Martin Atkin's "Tour:Smart PLUS weekend August 21 - 23." Martin played drums on a track from SYGC's upcoming album, ... and the horse you rode in on. If you'd like to sign-up for the weekend event which features many music industry how-to panels, go here. The Choir performs on Sunday, August 23.
- And speaking of SYGC, we recently got word that they'll be opening for the Headlights on Friday -- the band will play on the beautiful University of Wisconsin Memorial Union Terrace. It's totally free! It's outside on the lake! And there's homemade Babcock Hall ice cream to be consumed.
- Justin Townes Earle visited WXPN recently and recorded a live set -- hear it here. JTE is on tour right now with Old Crow Medicine Show, The Felice Brothers, Dave Rawlings and Gillian Welch on the Big Surprise Tour. The New York Times recently reviewed the revue, and seemed to enjoy themselves.
- Tune in tomorrow to hear Paul Burch and the WPA Ballclub perform live on WSM radio! The band will be on-air from 6-7pm CST, and you can listen online here.
- Finally, it's new release day for us at BSHQ -- today, we're celebrating the release of the Bottle Rockets latest, Lean Forward. Have you ordered your copy yet?
Paul Burch is appearing on the legendary Nashville powerhouse station WSM, home of the Grand Ol' Opry!. He's appearing with his WPA Ballclub from 6 to 7 pm on Thursday, August 13th! If you can't pick up the station (650 AM, friends, but ANY musci fan worth their salt knows that by heart), listen online here.
Paul Burch sings Dean Martin's "Memories Are Made of This" to open CMT's
series "Nanny 911". Look for ads on CMT featuring PB starting April
4th. Series premiers April 18th.
Check cmt.com for details