Get yourself a Black Friday treat without even leaving the couch! For the next week, Amazon is offering deep discounts on the following MP3 albums:
Alejandro Escovedo, A Man Under The Influence ($5.99)
Old 97s, Wreck Your Life ($5.99)
Scott H Biram, Bad Ingredients ($6.99)
JC Brooks & the Uptown Sound, Want More ($6.99)
Justin Townes Earle, Harlem River Blues ($6.99)
Go here for all Amazon.com Black Friday Deals.
"Bloodshot Reissues a pair of gems"
So sayeth Banner Graphic. Read the review of the Old 97s and Alejandro Escovedo special edition Double LPs here.
The "I am Chuck Bass" Edition
- Big news, Upper East Siders! In this week's episode of Gossip Girl, you can hear "One Night Stand" from The Scotland Yard Gospel Choir's new album, ... and the horse you rode in on! Listen about 3 minutes into the ep, when Nate brings over to Dan's Brooklyn loft a movie starring his new girlfriend Olivia and ... oh ... Anyway, SYGC lives in Gossip Girl infamy here.
- Ha Ha Tonka -- who is currently criss-crossing these United States with Ludo -- recently visited Daytrotter for an encore session. Listen to their Take 2 with the Rock Island-based rock site now.
- The Chicago History Museum is currently gathering ephemera for an upcoming exhibit on the famed, and long-gone, rock club Lounge Ax. This week, they wax nostalgic on discovering Old 97s there, and share video of the young band performing live at Lounge Ax (you can find the video on our DVD compilation).
- Speaking of the Old 97s, you can now PRE-ORDER our upcoming reissue of Wreck Your Life -- a double-LP featuring WRL as well as all the Bloodshot 7''s the first time on vinyl! This is a VERY limited-edition run -- Pre-order it now, before it's gone!
As part of our 15th Anniversary shenanigans, we've put together something to give a tip of the proverbial hat to a couple of our seminal releases:
OLD 97S: "Wreck Your Life and Then Some: The Complete Bloodshot Recordings" Like the title says, it's everything they ever recorded for us. "Wreck Your Life", "Early Tracks," long out of print singles and compilation tracks.
ALEJANDRO ESCOVEDO: "A Man Under the Influence: Deluxe Bourbonitis Edition" Includes the entire A Man Under the Influence album, the best of Bourbonitis Blues and the best of his Bloodshot compilation tracks.
Both these releases are DOUBLE LPS in FANCY PANTS GATEFOLD SLEEVES, and were specially re-mastered for vinyl.
Both contain the digital version of the album.
Both are limited editions of 1000
RELEASE DATE: NOVEMBER 17TH
Bloodshot Digest: New release edition!
- Ha Ha Tonka released their newest longplayer, Novel Sounds of the Nouveau South, on Tuesday! The boys had a whirlwind day on Monday in Chicago, as they appeared live on WGN, appeared on-air at Q101, and then played to a sold-out crowd at Schubas. Catch the band on tour all this summer!
- Rhett Miller guest edited Magnet Magazine last week, but had all his friends do his dirty work. Jon Langford submitted a list of some of his favorite things, including Walter Salas-Humara's adorable dog paintings. Hey, my birthday is coming up real soon -- who wants to get me one of Walter's dogs as a present? Pretty please?
- Finally, is with a stunned and heavy heart that we report on the passing of stalwart Chicago soundman Gary Rogers. An interesting cast of characters populates the local music scene, and I’m confident that other area musicians will agree with me when I say that Gary was one of the most original, sincere, and nicest of the bunch. He loved his work, and we always shared a story and a laugh (and usually a Guinness) whenever he manned the knobs for my band. At our most recent show, at the Bottom Lounge, I joked one on one with him from the stage, and I’m grateful we recorded that night’s performance, and hence that exchange, so that I can always remember him laughing. He was an authentically good person, he was good at his job, and he will be missed. The Bottom lounge will host a benefit for his family on Tuesday 6/30. - Scott Schaefer, Bloodshot Records
The sweaty, breakneck performance of "Over the Cliff" at the legendary Lounge Ax shows why the 97s were THE live band in mid 90's and it can be found on the DVD Bloodied But Unbowed. This DVD features 31 videos and live performances from the likes of Ryan Adams, Bobby Bare Jr, Deadstring Brothers, Detroit Cobras, Alejandro Escovedo, Sadies and the Waco Brothers, 8 short films with appearances and performances by Split Lip Rayfield, Neko Case, Kelly Hogan, The Meat Purveyors and others, plus a photo and poster gallery .