So I'm at the Hideout the other night, doling out soup for a fundraiser thrown by the good folks at Soup & Bread, and Nora O'Connor stops by. She offhandedly remarks that she'll be playing bass on Kelly Hogan's upcoming tour in addition to singing her sweet backing vocals.
"JESUS CHRIST" I yelled, "THIS is the kind of thing you need to tell us in advance!"
So, there you have it. Go catch two of the finest voices on the planet together on the same stage.
Furthermore, both of them have albums on sale during our YEAR END BLOWOUT sale!
Check out THIS article in the huge industry mouthpiece BILLBOARD on Nora O'Connor. She talks about recording with Jeff Tweedy and Mavis Staples for an upcoming record, touring with Jakob Dylan and where she's been the past few years.
HERE is a video of Nora and Kelly Hogan singing with a "nice-smelling" Jakob Dylan on the Craig Ferguson show. If you look carefully in the background you'll see Jon Rauhouse on pedal steel and Tom Ray on bass hiding behind their comically large beards.
Two of the finest songbirds in the world (we may be biased on that one, but we really don't think by TOO much) Nora and Kelly are even better when they sing together. Anyone who ever saw them Struts or Flat Five shows at the Hideout knows what we're talking about.
Jakob Dylan ain't no fool and is having them back him up on his summer tour.
So, while you're enjoying the show and gettin' all swoony over Mr D, check out the foxy ladies with the powerhouse vox behind him.
Go HERE for tour dates near you.
Bloodshot Digest: The "Where's mah summer?" Edition
- The New Times weekly newspaper of Broward-Palm Beach, FL named Charlie Pickett its BEST Male Rock Vocalist of 2009 in this year's Best Of poll! Congrats, Charlie!
- Sweet Home New Orleans, an organization dedicated to supporting the NOLA's unique and cultural music community, has teamed up with LeMieux Galleries to raise money for the cause. You can support the organization when you buy this BEAUTIFUL print of Danny Barker by Jon Langford.
- Neko Case will be performing on the revamped Tonight Show with Conan O'Brian on Thursday night. Joining Neko will be Bloodshot babes Kelly Hogan and Nora O'Connor. Set yr TIVO!
- Justin Townes Earle will take part in the BIG SUPRISE TOUR this summer with The Felice Brothers, Old Crow Medicine Show and Dave Rawlings Machine (featuring Gillian Welch). Check out the tour dates here.
- Finally, here's a picture of Mary from Scotland Yard Gospel Choir with Justin after his performance at Chicago's Metronome Fest. Sez Mary, "My only requirement is some sort of caption about us battling it out for the title of skinniest Bloodshot artist." Ok, Mary. If you see these two on tour, bring them some mac-n-cheese (or vegan mac for Mary), eh?
Cheer yourself up after you've emptied your pockets to the IRS to pay for bailing out the billionaire bankers!
Also, if yer attending Neko's shows at the Nokia Theater in Times Square on April 13th and 14th, that'll be Nora singing back up!
Our own sweet Nora O'Connor will be backing up Neko Case on her appearance on Jay Leno on Wednesday, March 4th.
Nora also appeared on Neko's new album Middle Cyclone on the songs "This Tornado Loves You," "People Got A Lotta Nerve," "Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth" and "Prison Girls."