Lydia sez: "I was trying to reinterpret a Verlaine poem, for way too long, then I got mad and started yelling stuff. Because I was drinking wine, I played a C chord wrong, resulting in a really cool thing happening at about 2:35. Jay played a really cool steel part. Bam."
Download it via Rolling Stone here.
Hey boys and ghouls! As a trick-or-treat for our favorite holiday here at BSHQ, here are some of the spookiest cuts from our catalog:
3. Gore Gore Girls, "Voodoo Doll"
From the album, Get The Gore
4. The Meat Purveyors, "I Have A Devil In Me"
From the album, All Relationships Are Doomed To Fail
5. Wee Hairy Beasties, "The Lonely Vampire"
From the album, Holidays Gone Crazy
Cory Branan is gearing up to release his Bloodshot debut, Mutt, on May 22 (pre-order now!)—to whet your appetite, you can listen the new single "Bad Man" via out pals at PASTE. Also just announced: Cory's headlining US and European tour:
18 - Montreal, Quebac @ Underworld
19 - Champlain, Ontario @ Beau’s All Natural Brewing
23 - Wiesbaden, Germany @ SCHLACHTHOF
24 - Cologne, Germany @ Underground
28 - Dresden, Saxony @ Ostpol
29 - Munich, Germany @ 59:1
30 - Zurich, Switzerland @ Eldorado
31 - Bezirk-Landstrasse, Austria @ Arena Wien
2 - Freilburg, Germany @ Walfisch
4 - Southampton, England @ Joiners
5 - Bristol, England @ The Croft
6 - Brighton, England @ The Prince Albert
7 - Manchester, England @ Tiger Lounger
8 - Glasgow, Scotland @ The Bay
10 - London, England @ Windmill Brixton
15 - Nashville, Tenn. @ The Basement
16 - Atlanta, Ga. @ The Earl
17 - Durham, N.C. @ Casbah-Durham
19 - Baltimore, Md. @ Golden West
20 - Cambridge, Mass. @ TT The Bear’s
21 - Philadelphia, Penn. @ Milkboy
22 - New York City, N.Y. @ Mercury Lounge
23 - Pittsburgh, Penn. @ Club Café
24 - Toledo, Ohio @ Frankies
26 - Chicago, Ill. @ Schuba’s
27 - Omaha, Neb. @ The Sydney
28 - Fort Collins, Colo. @ Surfside 7
29 - Denver, Colo. @ Lions Lair
1 - Boise, Idaho @ The Shredder
2 - Seattle, Wash. @ Tractor Tavern
3 - Portland, Ore. @ Doug Fir Lounge
5 - San Francisco, Calif. @ Thee Parkside
7 - Los Angeles, Calif. @ The Mint
8 - Fullerton, Calif. @ Slidebar
10 - San Diego, Calif. @Casbah
11 - Phoenix, Ariz. @ The Rhythm Room
12 - Roswell, N.M. @ Pecos Flavors Winery
14 - Austin, Texas @ The Mohawk (inside stage)
15 - Houston, Texas @ Rudyard’s
18 - Fayetteville, Ark. @ George’s Majestic Lounge
19 - Little Rock, Ark. @ White Water Tavern
20 - Memphis, Tenn. @ Hi-Tone Café
Check out the trailer to Justin Townes Earle's upcoming album, Nothing's Going To Change The Way You Feel About Me Now, out on Bloodshot on March 27.
You can download the title track by visiting justintownesearle.com.
Or visit the exclusive announcement on Rolling Stone and download the title track HERE
Even though baseball is being played into November these days, in homage to the ultimate series of our National Pastime, we're offering up I'm Not Jim's "Mr October" (off their debut album, You Are All My People), over on our Giveaways page. I'm Not Jim, a collaboration between Silo's frontman Walter Salas-Humara and acclaimed NY novelist Jonathan Lethem, also honor baseball in their song "The Pitchers Gave Up."
As we in Chicago continue to build our Ark and sweep the rising tide of frogs out the front door, we bid you WELCOME to the Friday digest. Lots of fun things to look at and read about, so QUIT WORKING for a second.
- Ha Ha Tonka had a high-quality live shoot at the fabulous Off Broadway in St Louis on May 6th as part of the Born Small Town Tour kick-off party. Take a peep.
- Here's a fantastic piece on Scott H. Biram from the Austin Decider, it's got an interview and embedded links to videos and live performances. Read about his whiskey benders and all the metal in his legs.
- Tired of rooting around the Interweb for all those CLASSIC Robbie Fulks songs? Our buddies (and fans) over at Glorious Noise put together a sampler to make life easier and boost your productivity. So, here's a BRAINLESS way to get a whole mess of Fulks tunes in one spot. Then you'll want more, and you'll want to legally support one of the best songwriters and performers to ever call Chicago home.
- Rob's Recommendation of the Week: The movie Up! Look, I hate popular culture more than any of you, so when something makes billions of dollars at the box office, i can usually safely assume it's pureed mush for the masses, but this is art. If you are not weepy and amazed at the depth of feeling and the economy of story telling in the first 10 minute segment, you have a heart of tar. AND i haven't gut laughed that often at a movie in months. AND it's in 3D. See it. Check your hipper-than-thou baggage at the door and soak in a great movie.
Ok, back to filling sandbags.
I've just put the finishing touches on an album I've been working on with my smart ass friends The Meat Purveyors from Austin, Texas. Imagine a marriage of their bluegrass on steroids, my songs and primitive, crunchy guitar and you'll get the picture. But, alas...you don't have to just imagine because I'm giving it away FREE, absolutely no strings attached! Just go to www.deanowaco.com and it's all there for you to preview and download to your heart's content.
Please do me a favor or two while you're at the site...sign up for my email list so I can send you info about more free tracks, shows, etc. And, if you're so inclined, throw a few bucks (or more if you're feeling flush) in the tip jar using Paypal. Think of it like I'm your bartender and I've just given you a round on the house!
One more thing...I'd love it if this could turn into a chain email, so please FORWARD this info to anyone and everyone you think might like the tunes!