Ahhh, the end of the year. Time for lists and resolutions. Resolutions and lists. The busy staffers at Bloodshot are no different, so I when I stood creepily over their desks and demanded some thoughts from them on the end of year, they obliged with the following:
My top 10 records of 2009 list is as follows:
(In no particular order:)
The Avett Brothers - I and Love and You - Columbia
Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix - Glassnote
Justin Townes Earle - Midnight at the Movies - Bloodshot
Phosphorescent - To Willie - Dead Oceans
Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More (out in UK. US release in January on Glassnote)
Amadou & Mariam - Welcome to Mali - Nonesuch
Bat For Lashes - Two Suns - Astralwerks
Heartless Bastards - The Mountain - Fat Possum
Kid Sister - Ultraviolet - Downtown
The Swell Season - Strict Joy - Anti-
I'm basing this on albums I've consistently returned to listening to throughout the year.
In no particular order....
GROUP BOMBINO- "Guitars from Agadez vol. II"- (Sublime Frequencies)
JUSTIN TOWNES EARLE- "Midnight at the Movies" (Bloodshot)
KID CONGO POWERS- "Dracula Boots" (In the Red)
JACK O. & THE TENNESSEE TEARJERKERS- "Disco Outlaw" (Goner)
OLD CANES- "Feral Harmonic" (Saddle Creek)
REIGNING SOUND- "Love & Curses" (In the Red)
WILLIAM ELLIOTT WHITMORE- "Animals in the Dark" (ANTI)
WAYNE HANCOCK- "Viper of Melody" (Bloodshot)
VIC CHESNUTT- "At the Cut"
JOE GIDEON & THE SHARK- "Harum Scarum" (Bronzerat)
-Gories/Oblivians at the Majestic Theater
-Vic Chesnutt w/ Silver Mt. Zion & Guy Picciotto from Fugazi at Lincoln Hall
-Jack Oblivian at the Hideout
-Tinariwen at the Old Town School of Folk
-Bloodshot 15th Anniversary BBQ's at the Hideout, the Sail Inn, and Yard Dog Gallery
-Thee Oh Sees at Schubas
-Reigning Sound at Subterranean
-Jesus Lizard at Metro
-Killdozer at the Abbey
-Dex Romweber Duo/Andre Williams/Lonesome Organist at Double Door
-Soundtrack of Our Lives at Double Door
-Tim Fite at Schuba's
-Lewis & Clarke/Mako Sica at Hotti Biscotti
-O'Death at the Empty Bottle
-J. Roddy Walston & the Business at Schubas
6 Best Records I heard this year
Chip Robinson — Mylow
Justin Townes Earle — Midnight At the Movies
Lucero — 1372 Overton Park
The Gourds - Haymaker
Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit — S/T
Drive By Truckers — The Fine Print
6 Favorite Holiday foods
Peanutbutter cookies with Mini Reese's in the middle
Chocolate Covered bacon
Then, I asked 1: "What was the best thing that happened to you in 2009" and 2: "What's your New Year's Resolution"
1) I lost 60 pounds and put out a record! I spent the last week living like I was a teenager again...a teenager who get's served and has no curfew. What more could anyone ask?!
2) I resolve to be smaller in size but dimensionally larger in stature. I resolve to grow younger from this point on. I resolve to do more with less, unless I HAVE more, in which case I plan to do more with more. I resolve to try not to choke anyone to death. I resolve to fold, spindle AND mutilate at every opportunity. I resolve to learn how to get around Chicago a lot better on public transportation, shortly before getting a car. I resolve to try to look more like Rob every day....so when he goes on his "mystery vacations" I can take over and no one will be the wiser. I resolve to secede from my bedroom and claim my kitchen in the name of the Ottoman Empire. I resolve to hire ninjas whenever possible.
1. I won a Kindle. Yay. Uhhh, I also got to spend a week in Hawaii.
2. Eat more.
1) I grew more comfortable in my own skin.
2) I want to spend my time doing what I myself want to do, and I want to do
those things with the people who I want to be with.
(editor's note: Sheesh, Scott can be so SERIOUS sometimes....)
1.) The fact that George Bush isn't president anymore.
2.) More thinkin'-- less drinkin'.
1) Surviving the Bloodshot Beer-B-Qs.
2)To stop setting fires in the toaster oven and microwave.
1) Professionally: The survival of Bloodshot in these difficult times and going to all the anniversary BBQs and seeing so many friends we've made over the years and providing a lot of great fun for a lot of people. This continues to be very gratifying.
Personally: Discovering pajamas as an adult. I am now all for the lounging in sleepwear around the house (yeah, a bit sad, but it was a tough year)
2) To learn to make and smoke sausages. To not say "Can I get....?" when i should be more polite and say "Could I have...?" To increase my hatred of people talking on cell phones while driving. To continue ignoring the existence of popular culture.
(Marah did not respond to my repeated emails, so I will answer for her)
1. Highlight was, OBVIOUSLY, coming to work at Bloodshot and basking in the cool, measured genius and divine glow that my boss gives off
2. I resolve to bring my boss a delicious cocktail precisely at 5:30 at least once a week.
There, that about does it....