Q: What gives?
A: Here's a few tidbits to chew on over the weekend.
Scott H. Biram's new album out this week. Yes, the news is a little Biram heavy, due to the release of his new album. The word is out and the the word is good.
- Currently #5 on the Billboard Blues Chart!
- Currently #18 on radio powerhouse KEXP!
These folks must know something.
- In this brave new internet age when anyone with a keyboard and wi-fi can call themselves a "music critic," the quality of writing has gone down the sewer. Thus, we are always tickled when something gets published that actually shows some insight and thought. For a couple of lengthy interviews and reviews containing well written and incisive content about Biram's new album from Austin go here or Canada. It's nice when people put a little effort behind it, don't you think? Can i get a "CHICKEN?
- Live in Chicago? Hey, us too! Here's a quick rundown of all the fab BS stuff hitting our city limits in the month of June brought to you by the good folks at Beachwood Reporter
- Rob's Recommendation of the Week: Pho 777 on Argyle Street in Chicago. If you love Vietnamese food as much as I (which would be hard to do), then you know about the strip of joints on the Northside. I was treated to a dinner there this week, and it gets a big thumbs up from me. The #32 was a fantastic sampler platter disguised as just another humble entree. It had that magical animal the pig prepared in about 8 different ways--BBQ sausage, marinated loin, etc etc. And there was a shrimp cake. It all came with an egg on top. I was dizzy afterwards. Oh, it's BYO and their selection of Asian pop techno on the stereo was suitably appalling.
JP's appendix: I agree w/ Rob's rec, but would like to expand: Holy moly, the 7's pork chop is the best, THE BEST, in the city -- and on Pho Row, 7's broth is hands down the tastiest. It's got a nutmeggy flavor that the other neighborhood pho joints just cannot compete with.
All for now!