Keep up on what's happening with the Bloodshot gang! Bloodshot News Feed
Semi-weekly, quick links to interesting Bloodshot things.
- The Deadstring Brothers are returning in 2009 -- and have JUST ANNOUNCED new US summer tour dates in support of their upcoming long player, São Paulo. The album's not out for a minute, but we can't wait for you to hear it cos it's hot. And, I mean, SMOKING HOT. Just check out that artwork, folks.
- Word's out! Justin Townes Earle's show in McCabe's in LA this weekend sold out! Check out an interview he did with the LA-based blog, When You Awake, here. And while we're talking JTE, here's your reminder that for just TWO MORE DAYS, we have Midnight at the Movies on super-sale for $10 LP/CD. Why, you ask? Well, as we reported last week, Midnight is nominated for THREE AMA awards -- Artist of the Year, Album of the Year, and Emerging Artist.
- If your looking for some new, free music, please check out The Free Music Archive, which is spearheaded by the great freeform radio station, WFMU. Besides the dipping yr toes into Free Music Archive's Bloodshot catalog, there's A TON of other great (legal) music to check out there.
- And finally, our gastronomically intrepid Radio guy, Swank, showed up to the office on this fake Monday morning with samples of his Bacon pizza. Nope, not pizza with a bacon topping -- a pizza where bacon has REPLACED THE CRUST. The sample had my arteries hardening with just a whiff, but it's tasty! Atkin's friendly, too!
Here's a few interesting tidbits as you set out on this holiday weekend (and by holiday, we mean Bloodshot Rob's Birthday):
- Justin Townes Earle was snagged three nominations from the Americana Music Association: Album of the Year, Artist of the Year, and Emerging Artist.
- BASEBALL HATS are back in! Just in time for summer, and due to popular demand, we've re-stocked on our fabulous black caps.Check 'em out here!
- To whet yer appetite for Ha Ha Tonka's new album coming in June, they did a video interview at SXSW with our pals over at PopMatters. See it here. They're cute, so enjoy!
- Bobby Bare Jr interview on this week's edition of the Beechwood Reporter. He talks about Justin, his dad, and the upcoming Shel Silverstein tribute in Chicago. Read and see videos of Bobby when he performed at the Opry when he was 5.
- Rob's recommendation of the week: Since the warmer weather is upon us, it's time summertime drinks. Since there is only band with a drink named after them, we thought it would a good place to start. Thus, we give you the Ha Ha Tonka:
1 oz vodka
1 oz amaretto
1 oz sloe gin
1 oz southern comfort
Use 16oz cup, fill ice, pour in alcohol, then top with orange juice. Skol!
Til next week....
Shovel ready Bloodshot tidbits for a stimulus-seeking appetite:
- Andre Williams (with guitar help from Jon Langford) tore up the local PBS TV studio this week and brought some welcome bluster to a show more known for CTA fare hike stories. It's archived here
- Champing at the bit for the new BOTTLE ROCKETS album? Us too. August 11th, but here's a first peek at the killer cover art. Now, just imagine how it's going to sound.
- Sitting at home this Sunday the 17th with no one to talk to? Why not ask the ever chatty Justin Townes Earle some questions on the No Depression community blog. Talk music, his new mustache, or why Leadbelly should be carved into Mount Rushmore.
- Scott H Biram's new release "hits the streets" next Tuesday, but the raves are already rolling in. Here's one, and another. Pre-order and get some free goodies.
- Ever wonder what might be on a jukebox owned by an owner of Bloodshot? Us neither, but the Beechwood Reporter thought it might be interesting. Read about it here.
- Rob's Recommendation of the Week: If smoking a pork roast, I suggest a rub of paprika, cayenne powder, ground black pepper, and sugar. Leave overnight. Smoke over apple wood at 185 degrees, basting every hour with a mixture of the above mixed with some apple cider vinegar. After 6 hours (for a two pound roast), you will enter a heaven of porky delight. ENJOY!
Set your TV sets to stun!
Andre will be interviewed and perform on WTTW's CHICAGO TONIGHT (Channel 11--that's PBS, kids) tonight May 13th at 7pm Central. JON LANGFORD will be handling the guitar duties.
The show will be archived, we'll get you that link when we have it.
Hey folks! Here's your belated Bloodshot digest for Wednesday, May 13:
- Mark yr calendars! Jon Langford and his Pine Valley Cosmonauts return to The Hideout on June 11 to perform the Executioner's Last Songs. The show is a fundraiser for Illinois Coalition Against the Death Penalty, and will feature raffle prizes and very special guests. Buy tix now! This event often sells out.
- Justin Townes Earle visited the venerable public radio station WNYC this week to play live for the station's Soundcheck program. Missed it? Behold! The Internet lets you relive the past: Listen to it here.
- Reminder: our friends at No Depression are hosting a live chat with Justin Townes Earle this Sunday at 2pm PST: Here's how to get involved.
- Best quote yet from the Ha Ha Tonka Tour: "Kings of Leon, beware: your midwestern pootie's getting shoplifted." The Wayward Blog reviews Ha Ha Tonka's KC show.
Snippets of interesting Bloodshottiness for your weekend perusal:
Happy Mother's Day! Mom is likely SICK AND TIRED of flowers, chocolates and dinners at Outback Steakhouse. Get her a Bloodshotglass or a Detroit Cobras album instead. Trust us, you'll become her favorite after that.
- The Detroit Cobras and Dex Romweber Duo kicked off a 6 week US double bill this week in Chicago. All us Bloodshot drones had a fantastic time. Go here for a review of the show and lots of excellent photo
- Last week the book Amplified was published by Melville House. It is a collection of short stories by songwriters like Rhett Miller (Old97s), Robbie Fulks, Jon Langford, Rennie Sparks (Handsome Family), Jim White and more. Here's a video of Ben Weaver reading his story "Humanesque"
- Firewater is currently tearing it up in Europe. Here are some photos from a Dutch festival they played on May 5th. I would translate all the text on that site for you, but I hate to show off..
- As you may have heard, Jack White (White Stripes) recorded a single with Dex Romweber and we'll have it for sale in early June. There's all sorts of news out there on it already, but I thought I'd cite one article from Jack's (and mine) hometown of Detroit--we need some good news out of there
- Our punk-history-loving intern Kentaro was enthralled with Bloodshot Rob's collection of old flyers and set about to immortalize them in Ones and Zeroes. If you'd like to see what he was up to in the early 80's instead of preparing himself for a normal life and a normal career go here.
- Rob's Recommendation of the Week: Last Sunday, I was lucky enough to catch Robbie Fulks' show at the Old Town School with Danny Barnes, Nora O'Connor and more supporting his new digital only release, the 50 song 50-Vc. Doberman. It was truly a wonderful show and the songs were just breath taking. Do yourself a favor and go to his site and check them out. Buy 'em a la carte, or get the whole massive batch. You can sample songs and read his liner notes, which are worth a visit on their own. It is truly a sad commentary on our culture that Robbie is not treasured and that Jessica Simpson is.
That's all for now. Have a good weekend!
Welcome to the inaugural edition of Deano Recommends, where ask Dean Schlabowske of the Waco Brothers and Dollar Store for some wine pairings. What makes Deano the man to ask? Well, besides being a rock-and-roller, he's also the proprietor of the Cellar Rat Wine Shop in Chicago, IL.
This week, we ask Dean about the best wines to pair with the greatest part of springtime -- firing up the grill for the first time:
My feeling is that there's no point in getting to "fancypants" with wine
for BBQ. So, in cheap and cheerful mode, here are a few favorite matches -
Burgers - Juicy, spicy reds work nice. Try Shenandoah Zinfandel from Amador
County. Organically grown and only $9.99!
Ribs - If you're just using a dry rub, not a sweet sauce, dry Rose works
great. From Provence, try Figueirasee Gris de Gris for $10.99. With sauce,
a really fruity Aussie Shiraz like Raw Power is great at $14.99.
Brats - While the Milwaukee boy in me would drink beer, a nice off-dry
Riesling is a natural. I have a really tasty German bottling from Kloster
for only $9.99.
Shrimp - Something with a bit of weight but not oak works best. A fantastic
Pinot Gris from Emerson Vineyards in Oregon at $16.99 would be a winner.
Salmon - Bright, clean citrusy white Bordeaux works great. Pick the Chateau
Haut Rian, a blend of Sauvignon Blanc and Semillon, at a mere $12.99.
Happy Grillin' and Swillin',
You can download the new Deano / The Meat Purveyors album for free at deanowaco.com!
Semi-weekly, quick links to interesting Bloodshot things
HAPPY CINCO DE MAYO! We'll be toasting it with margaritas as soon as Happy Hour hits. Wait, it's always Happy Hour somewhere in the world ... I'll be right back.
... and here's the Bloodshot haps for Tuesday, May 5:
- Just announced! Dex Romweber Duo will play an in-store at Treehouse Records in MPLS on Thursday, May 7 at 6pm. If you come to the in-store, you'll also have a shot of winning free tix to The Detroit Cobras / DRD show that night at the Varsity Theater!
- Dex and Sara Romweber were in the studio last week with their big fan, Jack White, for a 7'' that will be released soon! Read more about it here.
- Justin Townes Earle will be playing live on New York's WNYC "Soundcheck" on Tuesday, May 12 at 3pm EST / 2pm CST. Not in New York? Listen on the web here.
- Speaking of JTE, No Depression is hosting a live chat with him on Sunday, May 17 at 5pm EST / 4 CST. Got a question to ask Justin? Find out how here.
- Scotland Yard Gospel Choir will take part of the Grand Opening festivities at the brand-new Whole Foods at 1550 N Kingsbury Street in Chicago on Wednesday, May 20. SYGC will play an hour-long set at 7pm, presumably playing songs from its upcoming album, ... And the Horse You Rode In On. Pretty sure this is the first time a Bloodshot band has played a grocery store.
Dex and Sara Romweber went in to Jack White's Nashville studio last week to record a couple of songs for an upcoming 7''. White, who's A HUGE Dex Romweber fan (you can see Jack talk about Dex's influence in the documentary "Two Headed Cow"), will release the 7'' via his label, Third Man -- but it will also be available for purchase via our site. So, keep checking back to see when it hits our virtual store!
For more information about Dex and Sara's session with Jack, read this interview Dex did with Metromix Nashville.
Semi-weekly, quick links to interesting Bloodshot things
- Here's some more entries in the flood of love Justin Earle is getting these days, includes links to some performances and some download action at Muzzle of Bees and Brooklyn Vegan
- Ha Ha Tonka begin their pre-album release tour with a limited edition 7" in hand for a lucky few of you. Act fast! Check out the early huzzahs for their new album from Gaper's Block.
- Ben Weaver's playing a just announced special show in NYC on May 7th at the Small Beast Showcase. A noteworthy event and a good cause. If you're in the 'hood, check it out.
- Rob suggests you go see the documentary Anvil: The Story of Anvil. If you ain't rooting for this band by the end, you have a heart of tar.
- Scott H. Biram's new album is up for pre-sale. Get some free goodies if you order before the May 19th street date.
- Check with Brian of the Bottle Rockets about this weekend's DVD filming in Champaign and their upcoming album
- Due to the Glacier-like speed of some of our foreign distributors, we JUST received some VERY limited quantities of CDs that have been out of print for a long time. We've put them up for sale, but they won't last long.
Have a pleasant and productive weekend. Enjoy your May Day festivities, o downtrodden masses!
FILTER BY ARTIST
- April 2014 (17)
- March 2014 (13)
- February 2014 (16)
- January 2014 (20)
- December 2013 (13)
- November 2013 (13)
- October 2013 (9)
- September 2013 (11)
- August 2013 (9)
- July 2013 (8)
- June 2013 (5)
- May 2013 (7)
- April 2013 (6)
- March 2013 (7)
- February 2013 (10)
- January 2013 (7)
- December 2012 (6)
- November 2012 (9)
- October 2012 (14)
- September 2012 (9)
- August 2012 (5)
- July 2012 (5)
- June 2012 (7)
- May 2012 (8)
- April 2012 (6)
- March 2012 (6)
- February 2012 (8)
- January 2012 (7)
- December 2011 (2)
- November 2011 (11)
- October 2011 (9)
- September 2011 (12)
- August 2011 (7)
- July 2011 (7)
- June 2011 (8)
- May 2011 (11)
- April 2011 (7)
- March 2011 (12)
- February 2011 (4)
- January 2011 (6)
- December 2010 (11)
- November 2010 (10)
- October 2010 (12)
- September 2010 (11)
- August 2010 (10)
- July 2010 (12)
- June 2010 (17)
- May 2010 (6)
- April 2010 (15)
- March 2010 (15)
- February 2010 (12)
- January 2010 (9)
- December 2009 (14)
- November 2009 (10)
- October 2009 (11)
- September 2009 (10)
- August 2009 (9)
- July 2009 (14)
- June 2009 (13)
- May 2009 (12)
- April 2009 (12)
- March 2009 (6)
- February 2009 (7)
- January 2009 (5)
- December 2008 (4)
- November 2008 (4)
- October 2008 (17)
- September 2008 (10)
- August 2008 (1)
- July 2008 (1)
- June 2008 (1)
- May 2008 (3)
- April 2008 (3)
- March 2008 (1)
- January 2008 (5)
- December 2007 (1)
- November 2007 (6)
- October 2007 (7)
- September 2007 (1)
- June 2007 (2)
- May 2007 (3)
- April 2007 (1)
- February 2007 (2)
- December 2006 (5)
- November 2006 (9)
- October 2006 (13)
- September 2006 (1)
- June 2006 (2)
- January 2006 (1)
- December 2005 (2)
- November 2005 (1)
- October 2005 (3)
- September 2005 (1)