Keep up on what's happening with the Bloodshot gang! Bloodshot News Feed
Bloodshot Digest: The "Where's mah summer?" Edition
- The New Times weekly newspaper of Broward-Palm Beach, FL named Charlie Pickett its BEST Male Rock Vocalist of 2009 in this year's Best Of poll! Congrats, Charlie!
- Sweet Home New Orleans, an organization dedicated to supporting the NOLA's unique and cultural music community, has teamed up with LeMieux Galleries to raise money for the cause. You can support the organization when you buy this BEAUTIFUL print of Danny Barker by Jon Langford.
- Neko Case will be performing on the revamped Tonight Show with Conan O'Brian on Thursday night. Joining Neko will be Bloodshot babes Kelly Hogan and Nora O'Connor. Set yr TIVO!
- Justin Townes Earle will take part in the BIG SUPRISE TOUR this summer with The Felice Brothers, Old Crow Medicine Show and Dave Rawlings Machine (featuring Gillian Welch). Check out the tour dates here.
- Finally, here's a picture of Mary from Scotland Yard Gospel Choir with Justin after his performance at Chicago's Metronome Fest. Sez Mary, "My only requirement is some sort of caption about us battling it out for the title of skinniest Bloodshot artist." Ok, Mary. If you see these two on tour, bring them some mac-n-cheese (or vegan mac for Mary), eh?
Mark your calendars, boys and girls, for THE tour that will heat up your summer: Justin Townes Earle is joining Old Crow Medicine Show, Dave Rawlings Machine (f/ the beautiful, gorgeous, amazing Gillian Welch), and The Felice Brothers for a handful of very special performances. Now that's an economic stimulus plan!
Here's the gist:
“Born out of a deep running comradery built on countless tours and ties between a host of excellent musicians comes THE BIG SURPRISE TOUR, a traveling show of epic collaboration and good times. Shows will be composed of two 90-minute sets broken up by an intermission. In a free form ramshackle flow the bands and artists will share the stage, taking part in each other’s songs, resurrecting old standards, and playing newly written collaborative material as they go. Each evening is sure to be a unique experience as they all put their many combined years of musicianship and knowledge of song-craft and American music into play for these sessions ... Borrowing from the title of a Felice Brothers track, THE BIG SURPRISE TOUR will live up to its namesake.”
The tour dates:
04 – Hampton Beach, NH @ Casino Ballroom
05 – Boston, MA @ House Of Blues
06 – New York, NY @ Beacon Theatre
07 – Philadelphia, PA @ Electric Factory
09 – Charlottesville, VA @ Charlottesville Pavilion
10 – Cary, NC @ Koka Booth Amphitheatre
12 – Louisville, KY @ Waterfront Park
13 – Nashville, TN @ Riverfront Park
14 – Knoxville, TN @ World’s Fair Park
June? Already? How did that happen?
- The Bottle Rockets are ready to roll! The album will be released on August 11th. Check out some songs, the cover and read all about it here.
- The love for the upcoming Ha Ha Tonka album is already rolling in. Check out this review in Spin.com and pre-order the album now.
- Heading to Bonnaroo? Yeah, fine. Have fun. We're stuck here, but don't forget to catch Justin Townes Earle's performance on Friday, June 12th. Tell him we said "hi!" and we are all busy working to keep him in fancy cowboy boots.
- Rob's Recommendation of the Week: Having slept about 5 hours in the past two nights (a sinister combination of a killer sinus headache and loud, Polish roofers next door), I am recommending SLEEP! It's a wonderful thing and you don't really miss it until you ain't gettin' any. Heed my word.
Bloodshot Records celebrates its 15th anniversary of bringing you top shelf music with a nationwide series of fan appreciation Beer-B-Qs through the summer! Sponsored by Rolling Rock.
Saturday July 4, 2009
1306 E. Carson Street Pittsburgh, PA
FREE ADMISSION, 21+
Free food and inexpensive Rolling Rock
4pm doors / 5pm show
Bobby Bare Jr
Ha Ha Tonka
Dex Romweber Duo
Scotland Yard Gospel Choir
More Beer-B-Qs coming to:
Check back here for more details!
It's yr Bloodshot digest for June 2!
- That's right, kids, the highly anticipated sophomore album from HA HA TONKA is on PRE-SALE! When you pre-order Novel Sounds of the Nouveau South, we'll throw in a couple of goods -- including a full-color tour poster and a pair of adorable Ha Ha Tonka friendship buttons (one says, "Ha Ha," the other says, "Tonka" -- share one w/ a buddy!). Go HERE to buy now!
- Justin Townes Earle just wrapped up a West Coast tour, and photographer Joshua Black Wilkins (JBW is the man behind the art on JTE's past two albums) joined him for the journey, photographing their stops down the California coast.
- In more JTE news, NPR has archived Justin's session with the venerable radio program World Cafe. Justin plays this weekend in Chicago at the first Metronome Festival -- he and Cory hit the stage at 8pm on Sunday.
- And finally, Perfect Sound Forever features the Dex Romweber Duo, who are on tour now w/ the Detroit Cobras.
Ciao fer now! BSHQ!
June 2, 2009
After some months of not feeling 100% healthy, I recently had some medical tests run and the prognosis is that I am suffering from Multiple Sclerosis. Apparently, it has been affecting me for quite some time.
Although this is obviously unfortunate news, I am choosing to see the positive in it.
I, and X as a band, have supported the Sweet Relief charity since the mid-1990's;
the irony of this is not lost on any of us. Sweet Relief was started as an aide to uninsured artists by musician Victoria Williams when she herself was diagnosed with MS in 1992.
While this diagnosis will most certainly mean some changes for me, personally, it will not affect my commitments to the current X U.S. tour, nor will it affect my solo album that is slated for release this fall on Bloodshot Records.
My focus will certainly be on maintaining my health--many people remain strong and continue to live their lives as productively as they had before an MS diagnosis and I plan to be one of those people.
To find out more about Sweet Relief please visit: www.sweetrelief.org
To find out more about X please visit: www.xtheband.com
Q: What gives?
A: Here's a few tidbits to chew on over the weekend.
Scott H. Biram's new album out this week. Yes, the news is a little Biram heavy, due to the release of his new album. The word is out and the the word is good.
- Currently #5 on the Billboard Blues Chart!
- Currently #18 on radio powerhouse KEXP!
These folks must know something.
- In this brave new internet age when anyone with a keyboard and wi-fi can call themselves a "music critic," the quality of writing has gone down the sewer. Thus, we are always tickled when something gets published that actually shows some insight and thought. For a couple of lengthy interviews and reviews containing well written and incisive content about Biram's new album from Austin go here or Canada. It's nice when people put a little effort behind it, don't you think? Can i get a "CHICKEN?
- Live in Chicago? Hey, us too! Here's a quick rundown of all the fab BS stuff hitting our city limits in the month of June brought to you by the good folks at Beachwood Reporter
- Rob's Recommendation of the Week: Pho 777 on Argyle Street in Chicago. If you love Vietnamese food as much as I (which would be hard to do), then you know about the strip of joints on the Northside. I was treated to a dinner there this week, and it gets a big thumbs up from me. The #32 was a fantastic sampler platter disguised as just another humble entree. It had that magical animal the pig prepared in about 8 different ways--BBQ sausage, marinated loin, etc etc. And there was a shrimp cake. It all came with an egg on top. I was dizzy afterwards. Oh, it's BYO and their selection of Asian pop techno on the stereo was suitably appalling.
JP's appendix: I agree w/ Rob's rec, but would like to expand: Holy moly, the 7's pork chop is the best, THE BEST, in the city -- and on Pho Row, 7's broth is hands down the tastiest. It's got a nutmeggy flavor that the other neighborhood pho joints just cannot compete with.
All for now!
Semi-weekly, quick links to interesting Bloodshot things.
- The Deadstring Brothers are returning in 2009 -- and have JUST ANNOUNCED new US summer tour dates in support of their upcoming long player, São Paulo. The album's not out for a minute, but we can't wait for you to hear it cos it's hot. And, I mean, SMOKING HOT. Just check out that artwork, folks.
- Word's out! Justin Townes Earle's show in McCabe's in LA this weekend sold out! Check out an interview he did with the LA-based blog, When You Awake, here. And while we're talking JTE, here's your reminder that for just TWO MORE DAYS, we have Midnight at the Movies on super-sale for $10 LP/CD. Why, you ask? Well, as we reported last week, Midnight is nominated for THREE AMA awards -- Artist of the Year, Album of the Year, and Emerging Artist.
- If your looking for some new, free music, please check out The Free Music Archive, which is spearheaded by the great freeform radio station, WFMU. Besides the dipping yr toes into Free Music Archive's Bloodshot catalog, there's A TON of other great (legal) music to check out there.
- And finally, our gastronomically intrepid Radio guy, Swank, showed up to the office on this fake Monday morning with samples of his Bacon pizza. Nope, not pizza with a bacon topping -- a pizza where bacon has REPLACED THE CRUST. The sample had my arteries hardening with just a whiff, but it's tasty! Atkin's friendly, too!
FILTER BY ARTIST
- April 2014 (16)
- March 2014 (13)
- February 2014 (16)
- January 2014 (20)
- December 2013 (13)
- November 2013 (13)
- October 2013 (9)
- September 2013 (11)
- August 2013 (9)
- July 2013 (8)
- June 2013 (5)
- May 2013 (7)
- April 2013 (6)
- March 2013 (7)
- February 2013 (10)
- January 2013 (7)
- December 2012 (6)
- November 2012 (9)
- October 2012 (14)
- September 2012 (9)
- August 2012 (5)
- July 2012 (5)
- June 2012 (7)
- May 2012 (8)
- April 2012 (6)
- March 2012 (6)
- February 2012 (8)
- January 2012 (7)
- December 2011 (2)
- November 2011 (11)
- October 2011 (9)
- September 2011 (12)
- August 2011 (7)
- July 2011 (7)
- June 2011 (8)
- May 2011 (11)
- April 2011 (7)
- March 2011 (12)
- February 2011 (4)
- January 2011 (6)
- December 2010 (11)
- November 2010 (10)
- October 2010 (12)
- September 2010 (11)
- August 2010 (10)
- July 2010 (12)
- June 2010 (17)
- May 2010 (6)
- April 2010 (15)
- March 2010 (15)
- February 2010 (12)
- January 2010 (9)
- December 2009 (14)
- November 2009 (10)
- October 2009 (11)
- September 2009 (10)
- August 2009 (9)
- July 2009 (14)
- June 2009 (13)
- May 2009 (12)
- April 2009 (12)
- March 2009 (6)
- February 2009 (7)
- January 2009 (5)
- December 2008 (4)
- November 2008 (4)
- October 2008 (17)
- September 2008 (10)
- August 2008 (1)
- July 2008 (1)
- June 2008 (1)
- May 2008 (3)
- April 2008 (3)
- March 2008 (1)
- January 2008 (5)
- December 2007 (1)
- November 2007 (6)
- October 2007 (7)
- September 2007 (1)
- June 2007 (2)
- May 2007 (3)
- April 2007 (1)
- February 2007 (2)
- December 2006 (5)
- November 2006 (9)
- October 2006 (13)
- September 2006 (1)
- June 2006 (2)
- January 2006 (1)
- December 2005 (2)
- November 2005 (1)
- October 2005 (3)
- September 2005 (1)