Keep up on what's happening with the Bloodshot gang! Bloodshot News Feed
Welcome to the inaugural edition of Deano Recommends, where ask Dean Schlabowske of the Waco Brothers and Dollar Store for some wine pairings. What makes Deano the man to ask? Well, besides being a rock-and-roller, he's also the proprietor of the Cellar Rat Wine Shop in Chicago, IL.
This week, we ask Dean about the best wines to pair with the greatest part of springtime -- firing up the grill for the first time:
My feeling is that there's no point in getting to "fancypants" with wine
for BBQ. So, in cheap and cheerful mode, here are a few favorite matches -
Burgers - Juicy, spicy reds work nice. Try Shenandoah Zinfandel from Amador
County. Organically grown and only $9.99!
Ribs - If you're just using a dry rub, not a sweet sauce, dry Rose works
great. From Provence, try Figueirasee Gris de Gris for $10.99. With sauce,
a really fruity Aussie Shiraz like Raw Power is great at $14.99.
Brats - While the Milwaukee boy in me would drink beer, a nice off-dry
Riesling is a natural. I have a really tasty German bottling from Kloster
for only $9.99.
Shrimp - Something with a bit of weight but not oak works best. A fantastic
Pinot Gris from Emerson Vineyards in Oregon at $16.99 would be a winner.
Salmon - Bright, clean citrusy white Bordeaux works great. Pick the Chateau
Haut Rian, a blend of Sauvignon Blanc and Semillon, at a mere $12.99.
Happy Grillin' and Swillin',
You can download the new Deano / The Meat Purveyors album for free at deanowaco.com!
Semi-weekly, quick links to interesting Bloodshot things
HAPPY CINCO DE MAYO! We'll be toasting it with margaritas as soon as Happy Hour hits. Wait, it's always Happy Hour somewhere in the world ... I'll be right back.
... and here's the Bloodshot haps for Tuesday, May 5:
- Just announced! Dex Romweber Duo will play an in-store at Treehouse Records in MPLS on Thursday, May 7 at 6pm. If you come to the in-store, you'll also have a shot of winning free tix to The Detroit Cobras / DRD show that night at the Varsity Theater!
- Dex and Sara Romweber were in the studio last week with their big fan, Jack White, for a 7'' that will be released soon! Read more about it here.
- Justin Townes Earle will be playing live on New York's WNYC "Soundcheck" on Tuesday, May 12 at 3pm EST / 2pm CST. Not in New York? Listen on the web here.
- Speaking of JTE, No Depression is hosting a live chat with him on Sunday, May 17 at 5pm EST / 4 CST. Got a question to ask Justin? Find out how here.
- Scotland Yard Gospel Choir will take part of the Grand Opening festivities at the brand-new Whole Foods at 1550 N Kingsbury Street in Chicago on Wednesday, May 20. SYGC will play an hour-long set at 7pm, presumably playing songs from its upcoming album, ... And the Horse You Rode In On. Pretty sure this is the first time a Bloodshot band has played a grocery store.
Dex and Sara Romweber went in to Jack White's Nashville studio last week to record a couple of songs for an upcoming 7''. White, who's A HUGE Dex Romweber fan (you can see Jack talk about Dex's influence in the documentary "Two Headed Cow"), will release the 7'' via his label, Third Man -- but it will also be available for purchase via our site. So, keep checking back to see when it hits our virtual store!
For more information about Dex and Sara's session with Jack, read this interview Dex did with Metromix Nashville.
Semi-weekly, quick links to interesting Bloodshot things
- Here's some more entries in the flood of love Justin Earle is getting these days, includes links to some performances and some download action at Muzzle of Bees and Brooklyn Vegan
- Ha Ha Tonka begin their pre-album release tour with a limited edition 7" in hand for a lucky few of you. Act fast! Check out the early huzzahs for their new album from Gaper's Block.
- Ben Weaver's playing a just announced special show in NYC on May 7th at the Small Beast Showcase. A noteworthy event and a good cause. If you're in the 'hood, check it out.
- Rob suggests you go see the documentary Anvil: The Story of Anvil. If you ain't rooting for this band by the end, you have a heart of tar.
- Scott H. Biram's new album is up for pre-sale. Get some free goodies if you order before the May 19th street date.
- Check with Brian of the Bottle Rockets about this weekend's DVD filming in Champaign and their upcoming album
- Due to the Glacier-like speed of some of our foreign distributors, we JUST received some VERY limited quantities of CDs that have been out of print for a long time. We've put them up for sale, but they won't last long.
Have a pleasant and productive weekend. Enjoy your May Day festivities, o downtrodden masses!
He's Justin Townes Earle's moustached sidekick, "Charlie," on stage and a master multi-instrumentalist. But who the fuck is Cory Younts? Bloodshot went to go find out:
BSHQ: So, who the fuck is Cory Younts?
CY: Cory Younts izzzz ... a plain ol' fella who loves his new rubber knee high boots from Wal-Mart. And breakfast and banjos.
You can get yr "Who the Fuck is Cory Younts?" button now in the Bloodshot Bazaar.
[Photo of Cory Younts by our friend (and intern), Kentaro Murai.]
Semi-weekly, quick links to interesting Bloodshot things around the web.
- Brian Setzer made a surprise appearance at Wayne Hancock's show in Minneapolis last week. Here are a couple of video clips: 1, 2
- The Detroit Cobras were featured in an NPR piece about the state of the Detroit music scene: Listen here.
- Check out these nice pics of Justin Townes Earle performing in Toronto (via suckingalemon)
- The Beachwood Reporter featured Ha Ha Tonka's Luke Long in the first installment of their series, "Get To Know Your Chicago Bloodshot Musician"
- In more Ha Ha Tonka news, the band was featured in Rolling Stone's Hype Monitor. Gotta believe it!
- Daytrotter has a video session with Justin Townes Earle, check it out here.
- "South Florida musical god" Charlie Pickett is featured in the Miami Herald.
That's it for now, Bloodshotters! We'll be back on Friday!
How's this for a slice of fried gold?
Our very own Dex Romweber Duo layin' it straight at the record retail wonderland that is Atlanta's Criminal Records last month!
And yes- that is a box Sara's playing in lieu of a traditional drum kit. How freakin' awesome is that, you ask?
I gotta go with "real damn freakin' awesome" on this one, folks...
Today marks third annual Record Store Day -- the celebration of independently-owned record stores which continue to thrive amongst Bit Torrents and Big Box retailers. To honor them, here's some of our favorite indie record stores as picked by Bloodshot staff and artists. Thank you to all the independent records stores that have supported our artists throughout the years -- it's impossible to list all the stores (still thriving and dearly departed) that have made it possible to celebrate our 15th anniversary. Feel free to tell us about your favorite record store in the comments below. And be sure to visit your favorite record store today (Bloodshot's also got a few goodies at these participating retailers).Read full piece
Now THAT is a high octane rock and roll double bill, friends!
Go here for details. To stoke the fires in your nether rock and roll regions, CDs and LPs by both have been put on sale for May! It's too cheap NOT to rock. Seriously.
Stay tuned for info on how to win tickets.
FILTER BY ARTIST
- March 2014 (4)
- February 2014 (16)
- January 2014 (20)
- December 2013 (13)
- November 2013 (13)
- October 2013 (9)
- September 2013 (11)
- August 2013 (9)
- July 2013 (8)
- June 2013 (5)
- May 2013 (7)
- April 2013 (6)
- March 2013 (7)
- February 2013 (10)
- January 2013 (7)
- December 2012 (6)
- November 2012 (9)
- October 2012 (14)
- September 2012 (9)
- August 2012 (5)
- July 2012 (5)
- June 2012 (7)
- May 2012 (8)
- April 2012 (6)
- March 2012 (6)
- February 2012 (8)
- January 2012 (7)
- December 2011 (2)
- November 2011 (11)
- October 2011 (9)
- September 2011 (12)
- August 2011 (7)
- July 2011 (7)
- June 2011 (8)
- May 2011 (11)
- April 2011 (7)
- March 2011 (12)
- February 2011 (4)
- January 2011 (6)
- December 2010 (11)
- November 2010 (10)
- October 2010 (12)
- September 2010 (11)
- August 2010 (10)
- July 2010 (12)
- June 2010 (17)
- May 2010 (6)
- April 2010 (15)
- March 2010 (15)
- February 2010 (12)
- January 2010 (9)
- December 2009 (14)
- November 2009 (10)
- October 2009 (11)
- September 2009 (10)
- August 2009 (9)
- July 2009 (14)
- June 2009 (13)
- May 2009 (12)
- April 2009 (12)
- March 2009 (6)
- February 2009 (7)
- January 2009 (5)
- December 2008 (4)
- November 2008 (4)
- October 2008 (17)
- September 2008 (10)
- August 2008 (1)
- July 2008 (1)
- June 2008 (1)
- May 2008 (3)
- April 2008 (3)
- March 2008 (1)
- January 2008 (5)
- December 2007 (1)
- November 2007 (6)
- October 2007 (7)
- September 2007 (1)
- June 2007 (2)
- May 2007 (3)
- April 2007 (1)
- February 2007 (2)
- December 2006 (5)
- November 2006 (9)
- October 2006 (13)
- September 2006 (1)
- June 2006 (2)
- January 2006 (1)
- December 2005 (2)
- November 2005 (1)
- October 2005 (3)
- September 2005 (1)