On the eve of her inaugural BS release, one which we hope will have her music and story all over the interwebs, we thought we give you a peek "behind the scenes."
The Ely Brothers did a photo shoot of Lydia a couple weeks back and they filmed it as well, so's you can see what goes into to such a thing. It's a pretty cool they work in the final photos into the video, and use "Can't Change Me" as the soundtrack.
Snippets of interesting Bloodshottiness for your weekend perusal:
Happy Mother's Day! Mom is likely SICK AND TIRED of flowers, chocolates and dinners at Outback Steakhouse. Get her a Bloodshotglass or a Detroit Cobras album instead. Trust us, you'll become her favorite after that.
- The Detroit Cobras and Dex Romweber Duo kicked off a 6 week US double bill this week in Chicago. All us Bloodshot drones had a fantastic time. Go here for a review of the show and lots of excellent photo
- Last week the book Amplified was published by Melville House. It is a collection of short stories by songwriters like Rhett Miller (Old97s), Robbie Fulks, Jon Langford, Rennie Sparks (Handsome Family), Jim White and more. Here's a video of Ben Weaver reading his story "Humanesque"
- Firewater is currently tearing it up in Europe. Here are some photos from a Dutch festival they played on May 5th. I would translate all the text on that site for you, but I hate to show off..
- As you may have heard, Jack White (White Stripes) recorded a single with Dex Romweber and we'll have it for sale in early June. There's all sorts of news out there on it already, but I thought I'd cite one article from Jack's (and mine) hometown of Detroit--we need some good news out of there
- Our punk-history-loving intern Kentaro was enthralled with Bloodshot Rob's collection of old flyers and set about to immortalize them in Ones and Zeroes. If you'd like to see what he was up to in the early 80's instead of preparing himself for a normal life and a normal career go here.
- Rob's Recommendation of the Week: Last Sunday, I was lucky enough to catch Robbie Fulks' show at the Old Town School with Danny Barnes, Nora O'Connor and more supporting his new digital only release, the 50 song 50-Vc. Doberman. It was truly a wonderful show and the songs were just breath taking. Do yourself a favor and go to his site and check them out. Buy 'em a la carte, or get the whole massive batch. You can sample songs and read his liner notes, which are worth a visit on their own. It is truly a sad commentary on our culture that Robbie is not treasured and that Jessica Simpson is.
That's all for now. Have a good weekend!
Andre hit the stage with some BURLESQUE dancers in New Orleans. Check out some photos and a review of Can You Deal With It? from the fine folks at My Old Kentucky Blog here.
Online zine Prefix Mag has a great collection of photos of Ben Weaver live in Brooklyn with the Watson Twins and Tim Fite from earlier this fall. Take a look at the pics over at Prefix's online gallery.
Twin Cities music blog More Cowbell has a fantastic collection of shots from Ben Weaver's CD release show for The Ax in the Oak in St. Paul. Take a look at the photo gallery here.