- Here's an entertaining read by the ever-entertaining Jon Langford; he tells the folks at Pitchfork about the most influential albums during different times of his life.
- WORLD PREMIERE VIDEO! As of midnight last night, Amazon.com is airing EXCLUSIVELY (through June 19th) the new video for Justin Townes Earle's title track Midnight at the Movies. Check it out, it's rather fancy pants.
- With the imminent release of Ha Ha Tonka's new album, the band wanted to share a video of the "Making Of..." Get the inside skinny! See all the drugs and dancing girls that went into its production! Is that a donkey in the studio? We can't be sure! Oh, the depravity! (We kid, they are very nice and polite.)
- Dex Romweber Duo+Jack White+vinyl= Yeah, baby! Perhaps you remember a few weeks back we told about Dex Superfan Jack White recording a single with the DRD. Well, the fruits of that labor have arrived, and it didn't take no stinkin' nine months either. The 7" single is our busy little hive, awaiting your fevered order!
- The first of our 15th anniversary Beer-B-Qs, featuring FREE ADMISSION, FREE food, beer specials galore and lots and lots of music has been confirmed in PITTSBURGH on July 4th. Lots more to come!!
- Rob's Recommendation of the Week: Rob has no recommendation this week. The unparalleled lousy weather in Chicago, persistent overcast, 20 degrees below normal temperatures, insidious chilly lake breeze---all this as we are purportedly heralding the arrival of summer, has put him in a fouler than usual mood. Thus, no recommendation. He is sitting in his basement with a wool blanket over his head cursing the buckled jet stream and will not come outside again until he can do so without needing some sort of rain gear or heavy jacket. So, nyaah.
Bloodshot Digest: The "Where's mah summer?" Edition
- The New Times weekly newspaper of Broward-Palm Beach, FL named Charlie Pickett its BEST Male Rock Vocalist of 2009 in this year's Best Of poll! Congrats, Charlie!
- Sweet Home New Orleans, an organization dedicated to supporting the NOLA's unique and cultural music community, has teamed up with LeMieux Galleries to raise money for the cause. You can support the organization when you buy this BEAUTIFUL print of Danny Barker by Jon Langford.
- Neko Case will be performing on the revamped Tonight Show with Conan O'Brian on Thursday night. Joining Neko will be Bloodshot babes Kelly Hogan and Nora O'Connor. Set yr TIVO!
- Justin Townes Earle will take part in the BIG SUPRISE TOUR this summer with The Felice Brothers, Old Crow Medicine Show and Dave Rawlings Machine (featuring Gillian Welch). Check out the tour dates here.
- Finally, here's a picture of Mary from Scotland Yard Gospel Choir with Justin after his performance at Chicago's Metronome Fest. Sez Mary, "My only requirement is some sort of caption about us battling it out for the title of skinniest Bloodshot artist." Ok, Mary. If you see these two on tour, bring them some mac-n-cheese (or vegan mac for Mary), eh?
Shovel ready Bloodshot tidbits for a stimulus-seeking appetite:
- Andre Williams (with guitar help from Jon Langford) tore up the local PBS TV studio this week and brought some welcome bluster to a show more known for CTA fare hike stories. It's archived here
- Champing at the bit for the new BOTTLE ROCKETS album? Us too. August 11th, but here's a first peek at the killer cover art. Now, just imagine how it's going to sound.
- Sitting at home this Sunday the 17th with no one to talk to? Why not ask the ever chatty Justin Townes Earle some questions on the No Depression community blog. Talk music, his new mustache, or why Leadbelly should be carved into Mount Rushmore.
- Scott H Biram's new release "hits the streets" next Tuesday, but the raves are already rolling in. Here's one, and another. Pre-order and get some free goodies.
- Ever wonder what might be on a jukebox owned by an owner of Bloodshot? Us neither, but the Beechwood Reporter thought it might be interesting. Read about it here.
- Rob's Recommendation of the Week: If smoking a pork roast, I suggest a rub of paprika, cayenne powder, ground black pepper, and sugar. Leave overnight. Smoke over apple wood at 185 degrees, basting every hour with a mixture of the above mixed with some apple cider vinegar. After 6 hours (for a two pound roast), you will enter a heaven of porky delight. ENJOY!
Set your TV sets to stun!
Andre will be interviewed and perform on WTTW's CHICAGO TONIGHT (Channel 11--that's PBS, kids) tonight May 13th at 7pm Central. JON LANGFORD will be handling the guitar duties.
The show will be archived, we'll get you that link when we have it.
Hey folks! Here's your belated Bloodshot digest for Wednesday, May 13:
- Mark yr calendars! Jon Langford and his Pine Valley Cosmonauts return to The Hideout on June 11 to perform the Executioner's Last Songs. The show is a fundraiser for Illinois Coalition Against the Death Penalty, and will feature raffle prizes and very special guests. Buy tix now! This event often sells out.
- Justin Townes Earle visited the venerable public radio station WNYC this week to play live for the station's Soundcheck program. Missed it? Behold! The Internet lets you relive the past: Listen to it here.
- Reminder: our friends at No Depression are hosting a live chat with Justin Townes Earle this Sunday at 2pm PST: Here's how to get involved.
- Best quote yet from the Ha Ha Tonka Tour: "Kings of Leon, beware: your midwestern pootie's getting shoplifted." The Wayward Blog reviews Ha Ha Tonka's KC show.
Snippets of interesting Bloodshottiness for your weekend perusal:
Happy Mother's Day! Mom is likely SICK AND TIRED of flowers, chocolates and dinners at Outback Steakhouse. Get her a Bloodshotglass or a Detroit Cobras album instead. Trust us, you'll become her favorite after that.
- The Detroit Cobras and Dex Romweber Duo kicked off a 6 week US double bill this week in Chicago. All us Bloodshot drones had a fantastic time. Go here for a review of the show and lots of excellent photo
- Last week the book Amplified was published by Melville House. It is a collection of short stories by songwriters like Rhett Miller (Old97s), Robbie Fulks, Jon Langford, Rennie Sparks (Handsome Family), Jim White and more. Here's a video of Ben Weaver reading his story "Humanesque"
- Firewater is currently tearing it up in Europe. Here are some photos from a Dutch festival they played on May 5th. I would translate all the text on that site for you, but I hate to show off..
- As you may have heard, Jack White (White Stripes) recorded a single with Dex Romweber and we'll have it for sale in early June. There's all sorts of news out there on it already, but I thought I'd cite one article from Jack's (and mine) hometown of Detroit--we need some good news out of there
- Our punk-history-loving intern Kentaro was enthralled with Bloodshot Rob's collection of old flyers and set about to immortalize them in Ones and Zeroes. If you'd like to see what he was up to in the early 80's instead of preparing himself for a normal life and a normal career go here.
- Rob's Recommendation of the Week: Last Sunday, I was lucky enough to catch Robbie Fulks' show at the Old Town School with Danny Barnes, Nora O'Connor and more supporting his new digital only release, the 50 song 50-Vc. Doberman. It was truly a wonderful show and the songs were just breath taking. Do yourself a favor and go to his site and check them out. Buy 'em a la carte, or get the whole massive batch. You can sample songs and read his liner notes, which are worth a visit on their own. It is truly a sad commentary on our culture that Robbie is not treasured and that Jessica Simpson is.
That's all for now. Have a good weekend!
Walkabout Theatre and Collaboraction present "Goldbrick" based on the music and lyrics of Jon Langford. "Goldbrick" runs from January 29th to March 1st at the Building Stage, 412 N. Carpenter.
Go to Collaboraction for details and tickets.
Yeah, we've known it for a very long time over here at BSHQ, but the good folks over at Rhapsody have given Mr. Langford the credit he truly deserves and named him an "original" with an overview of some of the highlights of his career to date.
Go here to take a look at the Rhapsody Original page for Jon Langford, and take a look here for an exclusive interview with Jon! There are also exclusive videos of Jon performing live on the site here.
The kind and misguided folks at Chicago's premiere commercial radio station WXRT 93.1FM have handed over the keys to Herr Langford and told him he can play "whatever he wants." Join the fun and Justin Timberlake-free radio stylings every other Tuesday from 10pm to Midnight. Listen in on www.wxrt.com. Radio may never be the same, and it sure won't get any worse.