June? Already? How did that happen?
- The Bottle Rockets are ready to roll! The album will be released on August 11th. Check out some songs, the cover and read all about it here.
- The love for the upcoming Ha Ha Tonka album is already rolling in. Check out this review in Spin.com and pre-order the album now.
- Heading to Bonnaroo? Yeah, fine. Have fun. We're stuck here, but don't forget to catch Justin Townes Earle's performance on Friday, June 12th. Tell him we said "hi!" and we are all busy working to keep him in fancy cowboy boots.
- Rob's Recommendation of the Week: Having slept about 5 hours in the past two nights (a sinister combination of a killer sinus headache and loud, Polish roofers next door), I am recommending SLEEP! It's a wonderful thing and you don't really miss it until you ain't gettin' any. Heed my word.
Bloodshot Records celebrates its 15th anniversary of bringing you top shelf music with a nationwide series of fan appreciation Beer-B-Qs through the summer! Sponsored by Rolling Rock.
Saturday July 4, 2009
1306 E. Carson Street Pittsburgh, PA
FREE ADMISSION, 21+
Free food and inexpensive Rolling Rock
4pm doors / 5pm show
Bobby Bare Jr
Ha Ha Tonka
Dex Romweber Duo
Scotland Yard Gospel Choir
More Beer-B-Qs coming to:
Check back here for more details!
It's yr Bloodshot digest for June 2!
- That's right, kids, the highly anticipated sophomore album from HA HA TONKA is on PRE-SALE! When you pre-order Novel Sounds of the Nouveau South, we'll throw in a couple of goods -- including a full-color tour poster and a pair of adorable Ha Ha Tonka friendship buttons (one says, "Ha Ha," the other says, "Tonka" -- share one w/ a buddy!). Go HERE to buy now!
- Justin Townes Earle just wrapped up a West Coast tour, and photographer Joshua Black Wilkins (JBW is the man behind the art on JTE's past two albums) joined him for the journey, photographing their stops down the California coast.
- In more JTE news, NPR has archived Justin's session with the venerable radio program World Cafe. Justin plays this weekend in Chicago at the first Metronome Festival -- he and Cory hit the stage at 8pm on Sunday.
- And finally, Perfect Sound Forever features the Dex Romweber Duo, who are on tour now w/ the Detroit Cobras.
Ciao fer now! BSHQ!
Here's a few interesting tidbits as you set out on this holiday weekend (and by holiday, we mean Bloodshot Rob's Birthday):
- Justin Townes Earle was snagged three nominations from the Americana Music Association: Album of the Year, Artist of the Year, and Emerging Artist.
- BASEBALL HATS are back in! Just in time for summer, and due to popular demand, we've re-stocked on our fabulous black caps.Check 'em out here!
- To whet yer appetite for Ha Ha Tonka's new album coming in June, they did a video interview at SXSW with our pals over at PopMatters. See it here. They're cute, so enjoy!
- Bobby Bare Jr interview on this week's edition of the Beechwood Reporter. He talks about Justin, his dad, and the upcoming Shel Silverstein tribute in Chicago. Read and see videos of Bobby when he performed at the Opry when he was 5.
- Rob's recommendation of the week: Since the warmer weather is upon us, it's time summertime drinks. Since there is only band with a drink named after them, we thought it would a good place to start. Thus, we give you the Ha Ha Tonka:
1 oz vodka
1 oz amaretto
1 oz sloe gin
1 oz southern comfort
Use 16oz cup, fill ice, pour in alcohol, then top with orange juice. Skol!
Til next week....
Hey folks! Here's your belated Bloodshot digest for Wednesday, May 13:
- Mark yr calendars! Jon Langford and his Pine Valley Cosmonauts return to The Hideout on June 11 to perform the Executioner's Last Songs. The show is a fundraiser for Illinois Coalition Against the Death Penalty, and will feature raffle prizes and very special guests. Buy tix now! This event often sells out.
- Justin Townes Earle visited the venerable public radio station WNYC this week to play live for the station's Soundcheck program. Missed it? Behold! The Internet lets you relive the past: Listen to it here.
- Reminder: our friends at No Depression are hosting a live chat with Justin Townes Earle this Sunday at 2pm PST: Here's how to get involved.
- Best quote yet from the Ha Ha Tonka Tour: "Kings of Leon, beware: your midwestern pootie's getting shoplifted." The Wayward Blog reviews Ha Ha Tonka's KC show.
Semi-weekly, quick links to interesting Bloodshot things
- Here's some more entries in the flood of love Justin Earle is getting these days, includes links to some performances and some download action at Muzzle of Bees and Brooklyn Vegan
- Ha Ha Tonka begin their pre-album release tour with a limited edition 7" in hand for a lucky few of you. Act fast! Check out the early huzzahs for their new album from Gaper's Block.
- Ben Weaver's playing a just announced special show in NYC on May 7th at the Small Beast Showcase. A noteworthy event and a good cause. If you're in the 'hood, check it out.
- Rob suggests you go see the documentary Anvil: The Story of Anvil. If you ain't rooting for this band by the end, you have a heart of tar.
- Scott H. Biram's new album is up for pre-sale. Get some free goodies if you order before the May 19th street date.
- Check with Brian of the Bottle Rockets about this weekend's DVD filming in Champaign and their upcoming album
- Due to the Glacier-like speed of some of our foreign distributors, we JUST received some VERY limited quantities of CDs that have been out of print for a long time. We've put them up for sale, but they won't last long.
Have a pleasant and productive weekend. Enjoy your May Day festivities, o downtrodden masses!
Semi-weekly, quick links to interesting Bloodshot things around the web.
- Brian Setzer made a surprise appearance at Wayne Hancock's show in Minneapolis last week. Here are a couple of video clips: 1, 2
- The Detroit Cobras were featured in an NPR piece about the state of the Detroit music scene: Listen here.
- Check out these nice pics of Justin Townes Earle performing in Toronto (via suckingalemon)
- The Beachwood Reporter featured Ha Ha Tonka's Luke Long in the first installment of their series, "Get To Know Your Chicago Bloodshot Musician"
- In more Ha Ha Tonka news, the band was featured in Rolling Stone's Hype Monitor. Gotta believe it!
- Daytrotter has a video session with Justin Townes Earle, check it out here.
- "South Florida musical god" Charlie Pickett is featured in the Miami Herald.
That's it for now, Bloodshotters! We'll be back on Friday!
Ha Ha Tonka stopped by the Palestra studios to talk about life on the road, and play "St Nick." View the video here!
The boys in Ha Ha Tonka are hard at work in St Louis this holiday season, recording their follow up to the band's lauded debut, Buckle in the Bible Belt. Keeping up with its appearance as Bloodshot's "Most Wired" band -- with all their blogging and Vlogging and Twittering -- the Tonkers have outfitted their studio with a couple of web cams, so you can watch them live (!) as they record the new record. The new record (Title TBA) will be out in spring 09, but you can hear new material NOW if you catch the band on the road.