Neko Case has The Voice, rough around the edges but possessing a formidable strength and range, that causes critics and fans to swoon. To go with that Voice, is an artistry with a trajectory that is fascinating to watch unfold and grow. Where it will take her, and us, is the thrilling part.
Neko was born in Alexandria, VA and grew up all over North America, spending enough time in Tacoma, WA to consider it her hometown. Fellow homeboys and bestbandever Girl Trouble even wrote a song about her, which is a decidedly cool thing. When she was 18 and already on her own, she began playing drums in several punk rock bands including Cub and Vancouver trio Maow. It was during her days as a drummer that she made her first forays into songwriting, and then to singing. Once she started, she couldn't stop.
She is not simply a solo artist; she dives into any opportunity to work with other musicians. Recordings made at BS included split 7" singles with Whiskeytown, Kelly Hogan and the Sadies. Among her other projects is the beautiful old-time country she sings with Carolyn Mark as the Corn Sisters. She also records and performs as one of The New Pornographers and has lent her considerable talents to projects with Calexico, Howe Gelb (Giant Sand), Andrew Bird, Nick Cave, John Doe, the Pine Valley Cosmonauts and many others.
- Into It. Over It. cover Neko's "Deep Red Bells," and William Elliott Whitmore covers "I Wish I Was The Moon" on While No One Was Looking: Toasting 20 Years of Bloodshot Records
- "Brown Eyed Handsome Man" on Hard-Headed Woman: A Celebration of Wanda Jackson
- "Rated X" (Loretta Lynn cover) on Making Singles, Drinking Doubles
- "Still Around" w/Dex Romweber Duo on Ruins of Berlin
- "Chic-A-Go-Go! Salutes Bloodshot Records" short film featuring Neko Case on the DVD Bloodied But Unbowed
- "Stay a Little Longer" on the Pine Valley Cosmonauts' Salute the Majesty of Bob Wills
- "Favorite" on Down to the Promised Land: 5 Years of Bloodshot Records
- "Poor Ellen Smith" on the Pine Valley Cosmonaut's The Executioner's Last Songs: Volume 1
- "Cowhand" vocals on The Sadies' Precious Moments
- "Porchlight" on the soundtrack album The Slaughter Rule
- "Mystery" backing vocals on Kelly Hogan's Beneath the Country Underdog