Aug 25 '09
Bloodshot Digest 8-25-09
The "Land of a 1,000 Isthmuses" edition:
We had our first two Midwestern Bloodshot Beer-B-Qs in Madison and Milwaukee this past weekend, and they were a rousing success! Thanks to the fine folks at the High Noon Saloon in Madison and The Cedar Cultural Center in Minneapolis for hosting us.
Look at all the fun you missed!
- The folks at Yeah Right attended the High Noon show and had this to say: "It was a great late afternoon/early evening of music, and an incredible value -five CDs purchased, four live bands, and three microbrews for a total of $42. That won't even buy you a hoodie at a Katy Perry show."
- Randy from Yard Dog—who's traveling with us to the shows with his miniature gallery of art by Bloodshot artists Exene Cervenka, Jon Langford, Rico Bell and Ben Weaver—also captured these shots from the Minneapolis show.
Now, don't pout if you feel left out -- there's still plenty of time to attend a Bloodshot Beer-B-Q of your own! We've got Boston THIS WEEK (buy tix here), then Philly, Chicago (reserve tix here), New York and Austin! Read all about it!
Jul 17 '09
Bloodshot Digest July 17th, 2009
- On Monday, we had one of those evenings when we remember why we live here. The Shelebration, a tribute to Shel Silverstein was held at Millennium downtown. The weather was perfect. We brought a picnic and jug of vodka and juice. The band was Bobby Bare Jr, Nora O'Connor, Patrick from My Morning Jacket, Chris Scruggs and others. Guests included Sally Timms, Will Oldham, Bobby Bare Sr and Jon Langford. Check out the video Jon's version of the Shel-penned A Boy Named Sue here.
- What do YOU think of when you add up Salt Lake City and a Metal record store? That's right: WAYNE HANCOCK! Turns out the dudes dig themselves some Wayne at our new buddies The Heavy Metal Shop store in SLC. Check out these videos from an in store performance he did with Joe Buck Yourself here.
- Rob's Recommendation of the Week: Gale Street Inn on Milwaukee. Every year, several friends and I congregate SOMEWHERE for strong drink, meaty meats, conviviality and the All Star Game (for BASEBALL, you Visigoths). The AL won in part due to the triple by Tigers' outfielder Curtis Granderson. Oh yeah. The ribs are of the meltinyourmouth variety. Not smoked. Just tender and addicting. It being Chicago, our appetizer for the table (actually the horseshoe part of the bar near the TVs) was a FRIED CHICKEN. Yes, a whole fried chicken. Pass the toothpicks. Say hi to the owner George, he's got the classic Chicago-Belushi-ish vibe. By the way, the leftover ribs are one of the only things that heat up well in a microwave. And Go Tigers!
Jun 3 '09
Bloodshot Records and Rolling Rock Present: Fan Appreciation BBQs!
Bloodshot Records celebrates its 15th anniversary of bringing you top shelf music with a nationwide series of fan appreciation Beer-B-Qs through the summer! Sponsored by Rolling Rock.
Saturday July 4, 2009
1306 E. Carson Street Pittsburgh, PA
FREE ADMISSION, 21+
Free food and inexpensive Rolling Rock
4pm doors / 5pm show
Bobby Bare Jr
Ha Ha Tonka
Dex Romweber Duo
Scotland Yard Gospel Choir
More Beer-B-Qs coming to:
Check back here for more details!
May 26 '09
Bloodshot Digest 5-26-09
Semi-weekly, quick links to interesting Bloodshot things.
- The Deadstring Brothers are returning in 2009 -- and have JUST ANNOUNCED new US summer tour dates in support of their upcoming long player, São Paulo. The album's not out for a minute, but we can't wait for you to hear it cos it's hot. And, I mean, SMOKING HOT. Just check out that artwork, folks.
- Word's out! Justin Townes Earle's show in McCabe's in LA this weekend sold out! Check out an interview he did with the LA-based blog, When You Awake, here. And while we're talking JTE, here's your reminder that for just TWO MORE DAYS, we have Midnight at the Movies on super-sale for $10 LP/CD. Why, you ask? Well, as we reported last week, Midnight is nominated for THREE AMA awards -- Artist of the Year, Album of the Year, and Emerging Artist.
- If your looking for some new, free music, please check out The Free Music Archive, which is spearheaded by the great freeform radio station, WFMU. Besides the dipping yr toes into Free Music Archive's Bloodshot catalog, there's A TON of other great (legal) music to check out there.
- And finally, our gastronomically intrepid Radio guy, Swank, showed up to the office on this fake Monday morning with samples of his Bacon pizza. Nope, not pizza with a bacon topping -- a pizza where bacon has REPLACED THE CRUST. The sample had my arteries hardening with just a whiff, but it's tasty! Atkin's friendly, too!
Feb 12 '09
Deadstring Brothers New Album Coming At You
Deadstring Brothers have completed their latest album Sao Paulo. Man, it SMOKES. Look for it in the late spring. You'll be able to hear advance tracks on the download sampler card included in the Ben Kweller 7" and on the Bloodshot Radio station soon.
Jan 8 '08
Busking For The Village Voice in NYC
The Deadstring Brothers hit the streets to busk for the Village Voice's Possibly 4th Street series, and talked to the Voice's Rob Trucks about the band's many inspirations. To watch footage of the band playing on the streets of New York and the full interview, go here!
Sep 30 '08
Getting In-Depth With Kurt From Deadstring
A great, in-depth interview with Kurt in the Lansing MI zine Modern Peapod in which he talks about his love of Dyland AND Thriller and the death of Detroit garage rock. Put on yer readin' spectacles and prepare to learn somethin' here.