- The Hank Williams Memorial Myth (Tom House)
- Open Flame (Tim Carroll) [MP3]
- Daddy's Jail (Phil Lee & the Sly Dogs)
- Your Red Wagon (Paul Burch)
- Roy (R.B. Morris)
- God-Shaped Hole (Hayseed)
- Hillbilly Train (Sonny George & the Tennessee Boys)
- One Last Quesiton (Jason & the Scorchers)
- Cocktail Napkin (Duane Jarvis)
- Whitey (Lambchop)
- Cole Durhew (Tom House)
- Try it Again (Royann Calvin)
- Lonely at the Top (Dan Baird)
- Safe Within Your Arms (Greg Garing)
- Rise and Shine (Kristi Rose & the Handsome Strangers)
- The Plans We Made (Lonesome Bob) [MP3]
- No Ammunition (Gwil Owen)
- Those I'll Provide (Courtesy Move)
This release is no longer available in stores. Purchase your copy now, before it's no longer available anywhere!
Read a lengthy review of this album HERE
Various Artists Nashville, The Other Side of the Alley
Sure, the very name "Nashville" has become synonymous with the putrefaction and commodification of a rich tradition of folk artistry, but we still chose to go straight to the enemy's own backyard and dig up some fine tunes they unwittingly forgot to destroy. As it says in the liner notes: "Overlooked by many and resented only by those who require an unnaturally manicured environment." There's good stuff down there, it just took us foolish Davids to take on this Goliath.
Nashville, The Other Side of the Alley features unaffected, unpretentious, unvarnished, un-sanitized, and, most importantly, un-Nashville-ized cuts from Tim Carroll (ex-Blue Chieftans), Phil Lee (the potentate of haulin' freight), Hayseed, Jason and the Scorchers, Lambchop, Dan Baird (you know, formerly of The Georgia Satellites and currently of The Yayhoos), Mekons drinkin' buddy Lonesome Bob, Greg Garing, Paul Burch, and Courtesy Move (members of Wilco). Sure to flip a couple 'o' Nashville toupees. Jon Langford continues his tradition of cryptic artwork.